You cannot escape those hot-cross buns and chocolate eggs, not with the super market shelves lined with yummy treats. Friend and relatives add to the growing pile of sugar and fat laden goodies.
It is hard to resist the temptation and soon a piece of dessert turns into one too many. If you are feeling lethargic, moody, and bloated after a holiday binge, a good, natural detox technique will set things right.
These 5 post-holiday detox weapons should have you bouncing back straight away.
- Milk Thistle - Your liver works hard each day metabolizing fats and sugars, but is forced to clock extra hours to handle Easter junk foods. When faced with an overload, it could become fatty or clogged. Milk thistle (Silybum Marianum) provides excellent support to your overworked liver. The high antioxidant content removes toxins and free radicals from your body and makes your liver healthy again.
- Broccolli Sprouts - They are definitely not on most people’s favourite food list. The sprouts come loaded with sulphur -filled compounds like Indoles and Sulforaphane that turn into detoxifying agents and disease (especially cancer) fighting warriors. As cooking kills 80% of the nutrients steam Broccoli sprouts or eat it raw. Add to salads, sandwiches, soup garnish, smoothies or stir-fries.
- Priobotic- Bad guys in your gut flora thrive on sugary foods and your Easter chocolates are no exception. This definitely affects digestion and gut health, but there is more to the story. Gut health has a ripple effect on your brain – memory, mood, and behaviour. Befriend good bacteria by enticing them with fermented vegetables, mIso soups, or pro-biotic foods including Greek yogurt. Try some fermented veggie recipes from Nicole Azzopardi’s Alchemy Cookbook or buy pro-biotics from health food stores.
- Green Juice - Does not sound very appetizing, but greens are a great way to reduce acidic content and increase alkaline levels in your body. Green juices and smoothies replace lost nutrients post the holiday bingeing on empty cal foods. Have greens at breakfast to kick start your body’s natural purifying and cleansing process. Add metabolism boosting spices, citrus fruits, and Vitamin C-rich veggies to the mix to burn those extra calories.
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage - Sometimes basic detox methods are just not enough. You need the complete cleansing package to kick out toxins from your lymphatics, liver, skin, kidneys, and gut. Strengthen your immune system and eliminate pollutants from lymphatic system with this gentle and soothing massage – Lymphatic Drainage Massage.
Enjoy your Easter goodies guilt-free, but follow these detox tips when your body screams, “Give me a break”!
The Mud Team xx